It is no secret that there is an abundance of pornography available on the Internet today. All kinds of pornography are accessible online from photos to videos to homemade porn uploaded to Youtube. Today, there is no need to even pay to get access to hardcore websites and the mechanisms that so-called legitimate porn sites use to filter out minors is easily bypassed (they simple enter a birth date that makes them old enough to enter
Easy access to online pornography is a disaster for a person with a porn addiction problem or an inclination to having a problem with addiction to pornography. Anyone with an addiction problem and an Internet connection is faced with temptation twenty-four hours a day.
Is porn addiction a real problem – why can’t they just stop looking at the stuff?
A porn addict often wants to stop. After all, he is making his girlfriend or wife angry,damaging his sex life, feeling guilty and ashamed. . . But he can not stop. It has become commonly accepted among the psychiatric profession that pornography addiction is a mental disorder that requires and can be cured with treatment.
How do you know if someone is a porn addict?
A porn addiction problem is characterized by a difficulty to limit time spent looking at pornography which leads to harmful effects on the person himself as well as to others. Determining if a porn addiction problem exists is similar to determining other addiction disorders.
- Recurrent failure to resist impulses to view pornography
- Increasing sense of tension immediately prior to looking at pornography
- Pleasure or relief at the time of looking at pornography
At least five of the following characteristics:
- Frequent preoccupation with seeing pornography or having access to pornography
- Frequently viewing porn
- Repeated efforts to control or stop looking at pornography
- A lot of time spent online to the extent that it interferes with normal behavior
- Looking at pornography interferes with other parts of life: job, school, home or social obligations
- Important social, work, or recreational activities given up or missed because of the time spent on porn
- Continuation of the habit despite recognizing that it causes problems
- A need to increase the intensity or frequency of the pornography in order to achieve the desired effect
- Restlessness or irritability if access to pornography is denied or unavailable.
How Can you Stop Someone from Accessing Porn on the Computer?
Open communication is the best way to approach a loved one with a suspected porn addiction problem. If the problem is that they are viewing pornography online, you can do a lot to help them. First of all, get rid of the temptation. That does not have to mean getting rid of the family computer or canceling the Internet connection.
If your loved one admits to a problem and wants your help to overcome the problem, you can agree together to start by eliminating the easy access they have to porn online. Simply by installing an effective web filter (“porn blocker’), you can easily block out porn and sex websites from your PC. A web filter, such as Optenet PC, is a software solution, that you install and manage on your computer. It can be a fast and easy way to curb a problem that is just beginning or helping a serious porn addict eliminate the immediate access to porn sites.